I am at a similar stage & followed this thread with interest. When I ran the
command line below it produced :

C:\fop\fop-0.20.3\docs\examples\markers>fop -xsl glossary.xsl -xml
glossary.xml
-pdf glossary.pdf
Running FOP
----------------
[INFO]: FOP 0.20.3
[INFO]: building formatting object tree
[INFO]: [1]
[ERROR]: java.lang.NullPointerException
C:\fop\fop-0.20.3\docs\examples\markers>

or excerpt of debug mode:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerHandlerImpl.endDocument(Unkno
wn Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.endDocument(SAXParser.java:1225)
        at
org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callEndDocument(XMLV
alidator.java:760)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$EndOfInputDispatcher.d
ispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1546)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentS
canner.java:381)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:948)
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TrAXFilter.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:481)
        at
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(CommandLineStarter.java:72
)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:19)
C:\fop\fop-0.20.3\docs\examples\markers>

This is a pain as I will need to use XML/XSL input. The runtests.bat &
fop.bat worked fine on .fo but fail on XML/XSL.

I know little about Java/DOS batch files but have tried defining all FOP
.jar files in the CLASSPATH, & also the batch file command line, but all
produced the same message. I also modified the fop.bat to be runnable from
any directory & used absolute pathnames to the .jars, with the same result.
This was using JRE 1.4.0.

The DOS prompt did display more debug info, but it cannot scroll back.
Outputting to a text file using '> output.txt' on the command line instead
doesn't show the exception details.

If anyone can point out the problem or even better the solution here I would
very much appreciate it.

Regards,
Roland Neilands
Analyst/Programmer
Pulse Mining Systems Pty Ltd
(w) +612 4933 3300
(f) +612 4933 6732
(e) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This e-mail is solely for the use of the intended recipient and may contain
information which is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use of its
contents is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original
e-mail.