From: Bernd Brandstetter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 May 2002 15:35
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FOP memory consumption

Hi,

I'm new to FOP and followed the discussions on this list for the last few
days since I'm currently trying to use XSL:FO to produce the PDF
documentation for a project database which is in XML format.

While I'm very satisfied with the resulting output, I have strong doubts
about the usability of FOP in our environent due to its huge memory
requirements. Although I currently only included about 50% of the contents
of the database, FOP requires around 250MB of memory for the 110-page
output PDF, so I would estimate the memory requirements for the total
contents to ~512MB and since this is not a server-based environment, this
memory would have to be available on every box. From what I've read on the
list, I'm sure this is due to excessive usage of forward references and
large (partly nested) tables spanning multiple pages. However, this is an
absolute requirement for our documentation.

So, I have two questions/suggestions:
1) Wouldn't it be possible to let FOP create the output in two steps like
for instance (La)TeX does. Doing a dry run first only to calculate the
page references, store them somewhere, and then produce the actual output
in a second run.
2) Are there plans to port FOP to C/C++ sometime? I guess that at least
part of the memory consumption is to be blamed on Java and IIRC the
underlying Xerces and Xalan are already available as C++ versions, so why
not FOP?

Regards,
Bernd

are addressed. Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited.

Whilst Cedar Plc takes steps to prevent the transmission of
viruses via e-mail, we can not guarantee that any email or
attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly
advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.

Cedar Plc grants no warranties regarding performance,
use or quality of any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no
liability for loss or damage, howsoever caused.