Hello Franck,

on WinNT you can directly send PostScript to a printer with something like
this:

byte[] psByteArray = ... produced from FOP, a PostScript byte Array....

File printerFile = new File("\\\\<ntservername>\\<printername>");
FileOutputStream os = new FileOutputStream(file);
os.write(psByteArray);
os.close();

Actually we are currently exactly doing this.
Your printer has to be PostScript capable.
On Unix maybe one has just to open the printer queue, don't know.

PDF Printing directly to a printer works only if the printer knows how to
interpret pdf (sure an expensive printer,
don't know which supports this currently) or you will have to convert PDF to
PostScript with some tool.

Hope this helps,

greetings,

Patrick

Dipl. Inform. Patrick Chaumette

T-Systems ITS GmbH

Service Prozesse Retail
Hausanschrift: Fasanenweg 9, 70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen
Postanschrift: Postfach 100258, 70746 Leinfelden-Echterdingen
Telefon: (0711)972-2437
Telefax: (0711)972-1949
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: http://www.t-systems.de