FOP'ers:

[Oleg Tkachenko said...]

> Who is claiming that - fop or servlet ?

Right, good question.  The socket exception was logged by the servlet.

[Jeremias Märki said...]

Ah, thank you so much.  Therefore, it is not an error to be solved.

I'd like describe what we have learned:

On Wintel, Tomcat 4, and JDK 1.4, there is no problem.

On Wintel, Tomcat 3.2, and JDK 1.3, Tomcat would crash (completely down and out). We got lucky and found a USENET message that described a solution. Rather than having com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder write the response, we get the bytes from the encoder and write the response ourselves. Problem solved.

We have delivered to WebSphere on AIX and have missing charts but now I don't think it is a socket problem.

Thanks again for the help; it has saved us a lot of work and it is a relief to know what is going on.

Rick