Hello,

Yes, we had some experience with Actuate and it was.. BAD

Actually we used version 4.1, used to be called ERW, but we also tested
version 5 and we had the same problems

First, the one that really had us change to FOP (after wasting money on
Actuate), text inside Actuate produced table cells DOES NOT WRAP. The text
is simply written on the neighbor cells

Also, when the data source for the report is the application not the
database directly, it is very difficult to program it. You'll get very
frustrated having to create lots of Interfaces, ... You'll also have to
launch the Actuate application from your own code in order to create the
report templates, you will not be able to use it directly as an API to crate
such templates (or use another standard tool, e.g. and XSL editor like in
FOP). A job that will NOT be funny

As for FOP (XSLT/XSLFO combination) You not only get the maximum flexibility
and the standardization, but the performance is actually very good. You also
have the ease and flexibility to get the data in the form of XML the way you
want it (quite a lot of XML api's/tools out there.

Want my advice: Go directly for XML/XSLT/XSLFO/FOP and save your company's
money