I'm going a step further and I'm thinking about providing a development
tool for FOP. We've developed a simple one at work where we could
specify either FO or XML/xSLT file and an output format (FO, PDF, PS etc.).
Then we have that big "Process" button that runs the document through
Xalan and FOP. The configuration is saved when you exit, but at the
moment we don't have multiple profiles. I've got a few good ideas about
an improved tool in this direction. It would also be a good project for
someone who'd like to contribute to the FOP project but doesn't want to
go to the depths. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

Anyway, if anyone does some work in this direction, I have a few points
I'd like to make:
- It would be good, if the AWT viewer would be separated into a viewer
  component (just the panel to display the AWT output) and the
  ready-to-use preview frame as it exists today. That may make it easier
  to embedd FOP in a Swing application if the previewer is not exactly
  what somebody wants.
- Every debugging/developer-oriented feature should also be separated
  from the above components so we don't limit their uses.

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:56:52 +0200 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Leif Frederiksen wrote:
>
> > In order to debug some code, I would like to see the result of the
> > XML+XSLT tranformation, not the result of the rendering. Can I make FOP
> > do this?
>
> btw, I was thinking about implementing such a functionality (view fo source)
> in FOP's awt viewer, but I was not sure anybody need it, so I left that idea.
> What are FOP users opinions, is it needed?

Jeremias Maerki