I encountered a similar problem when serving a pdf file from a CGI script.
This seems to be related to MSIE. See the following link.
If you use Netscape, you probably will be okay.

But I have not found any workaround yet.

http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/content-type.html

  Steve Lihn

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may
be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message.
If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error,
please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.