Thank you for your immediate response.
Can you please tell me in which version are these features supported ?
because I recently upgraded my fop to 0.20.5 and started facing this
problem.
In my earlier fop ( I am not sure which version it was before but I am
sure it was one of the first ones. ) it was working, so we have our
entire system using the 'space-before.optimum' sub-structure.
Using the right version in which it was supported would be easier than
performing changes through out the system to use fop 0.20.5.

Thank you,
Ashish Arte