On 31.01.2003 02:19:03 Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 05:12, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip/>
> > > Is there any other tool that can convert PDF to PostScript in Windows?
> >
> > Win32 port of pdftops from the xpdf package perhaps:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&release_id=91406
>
> Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but didn't work.

Too bad. It's getting difficult.

> > > I need to know if PostScript renderer will be able to use Arial Unicode
> > > if I embed it in FOP. Any idea?
> >
> > As I already tried to explain, it won't, at least not in the near future.
> > You're invited to help us add that functionality.
>
> I need to solve this problem soon. If I'm able fix the PS renderer, I
> will contribute all the code. Problem is, I know nothing about the PS
> renderer and how to handle Unicode fonts with it.

I wouldn't recommend this at the moment if you're not having a lot of
time at your disposal. Granted, it would be cool if you added the
feature, but it's a lot of work, especially since the PostScript
renderer's character handling (encodings etc.) is not quite correct
right now. You will also have to rework that in order to get your
Unicode stuff working.

If there's only a remote possibility for setting up a Linux machine do it
and create a Servlet that calls Acrobat Reader on that Linux box to
convert the PDF to PostScript. But be sure to try converting a PDF on
the Windows Acrobat Reader to PostScript to see if it will work at all.
The Windows version uses the same code as the Linux version it simply
doesn't export the command line functionality like the Unix version.

On the other side there IS a command line function for the Windows
Acrobat to convert a PostScript file from PDF. But that process goes
through the Windows Printing System and applies the PPD from a locally
installed printer. But anyway, maybe that would also solve your problem.
You'll find information in the mailing list archive and from the Adobe
website.

Wow, I need to come up with a FAQ entry for this kind of things. :-)

Jeremias Maerki