One should distinguish carefully between words and symbols.

Words are the domain of languages, and each idiom has distinct orthographic
and word creation rules. For example, you write "2 millimeters" in English,
"2 millimètres" in Frech, "2 Milimetern" in German, "2 milímetros" in
Portuguese, and so on. Each tongue uses its own spelling, capitalization
and plural making rules. However, the _symbol_ is standardized, to avoid
confusion: it is "2 mm" anywhere, even in non-Latin script systems. Even in
cases of different spelling. For example, in Portuguese, kilogram is
written "quilograma", because 'k' does not belong to our alphabet, but the
symbol is always "kg". Two secons is "2 s", never "2 sec". (BTW, there
shold be a space, like "2 mm" and not "2mm", so CSS does not comply. :-)

As our forefathers did, you can create new words using a large variety of
prefixes, Greek or Latin or Saxon or whatever, but you have no right to
mess with the symbol rules, which are object of the International System of
Units, and later of their ISO equivalent. The SI symbols and their prefixes
were carefully chosen to be unanbiguous, that is why you cannot use these
prefixes with non standard units. Neither can you capitalize: "kg" is
kilogram, "KG" stands for kelvin-gauss. (I used these prefixing rules some
years ago to build a symbol parser, used to calculate derived unit
conversion factors. To avoid umbuiguity, prefixes are strictly forbidden
for non-standard symbols.)

Yes, you are free to write "two millipoints",  but not to write "2 mpt".
Nobody will understand anyway. Please use only standard symbols.

Cheers.

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobras - TI - Negócios Eletrônicos
mailto:jaccoud [at] petrobras.com.br
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

                      Glen Mazza

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Para:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      m>                       cc:       (cco: Marcelo Jaccoud
Amaral/RJ/Petrobras)
                                               Assunto:  Re: IPD

                      2003-09-04 18:31

                      Favor responder a

                      fop-user

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> One has to partially forgive our American friends
> for such offenses --
> after a century, they still don't use the metric
> system, you cannot ask
> them to respect the prefixes.

Ich bin mit Ihnen gar nicht einverstanden!  The
prefixes milli, centi, kilo, etc. predate ISO by
several centuries at least.  Those are Latin
words--millipoint is fine, just like millennium,
century, or centipede for that matter.

> But Herr Pietschmann is right, you should not mix SI
>  preffixes with
> unstandard units, the resulting symbol can become
> ambiguous. For example,
> what would mean "1 min" ? A minute or a thousandth
> of a inch -- a miliinch?

Yeah, I can't tell you the number of times I got a
note from someone saying he/she'd be back in "30
min.", only to find out he/she meant 30 milli-inches!
 ;)

Glen