Well, in FOP 0.20.5 it is possible to generate uncompressed PDF documents.
Although this may increase the file size, sometimes dramatically, it makes
the RGB->CMYK replace operation much simpler,
Because the PDF document wont need to be decompressed before performing
those tasks.
Then, what you will need is a regular expression, that finds any 'RG' or
'rg' color commands, to replace them with 'K' or 'k', respectively.
Of course, the expression needs to be smart enough only to replace
occurrences of 'RG' or 'rg' that is actually color commands.
Searching for occurrences of three space separated numbers followed by space
and then 'RG' or 'rg' is a hack, that might (but only might) be good enough.

Then, the XRef Table needs to be rebuilt.
This tasks should be possible to do with another regular expression,
That searches for any occurrences of '[anInteger] [anotherInteger] obj' and
adds the byte offset positions of these matches into a new XRef Table, that
in the end should replace the existing XRef Table.

Also, the number on the second last line of the document should be replaced
with the number of bytes written until the occurrence of the last 'endobj'
command.

There is a number of plug-ins, that can be used from within Adobe Reader to
convert the RGB colors of a PDF document into CMYK colors.
There is a tool named QuiteABoxOfTricks that can be found at
http://www.quite.com doing this.
I am sure it is possible to setup a batch processing solution as well, in
order to create a totally automated hack solution for this lack.
PitStop server is another solution.

Regards,
Dennis JD Myrén
Developer