Hmm.. Two possiblities:
1. borders not implemented on fo:external-graphic
   3 possible solutions:
   - wait until it gets implemented
   - have a go at implementing it yourself
   - work around it by putting the graphic into a table-cell
2. border-width too small; borders now actually drawn 'under' the image
   solution: try increasing the width

However...
> I want to know how can I add a border arround my image
> and how can I obtain a shade effect

for 3D effects, you might be better off embedding your JPEG in an SVG, and
using that SVG as source for the external graphic. You then wouldn't need to
draw borders in FO altogether (--or use these as complementary)

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas