A few comments on this thread:

1. Acrobat Reader has a few options on the printing dialog that control
scaling and positioning of the PDF on a printed page. Uncheck options
such as "scale to fit" and "auto-rotate and center pages". This may
account for the differences in font sizes.
2. At least on Windows the printer driver defines the printable area of
a printer. Even on some printers claiming to support printing to the
edge I've see a non-printable area caused by the printer driver. This is
defined in the PPD file of a PostScript driver. The PostScript driver
itself then does some clipping. It doesn't even try to print the whole
page. Manually patching the PPD file may help. It has helped me in the
past. Of course, the best alternative is to bypass the printer driver
entirely and send the output directly to the printer.
3. Be aware that GhostScript uses a different set of base fonts than
Acrobat (Helvetica, Times etc.). This may also account for differences
between Acrobat and GhostScript. Back when I was still in action with
this stuff I had practically identical output from both programs when
using the exact same fonts and the right settings in Acrobat.

Jeremias Maerki