Thanks for the reply. However this problem has nothing to do with data
transfer as I am creating XML file on the fly. So if is installed on Unix
file gets created on Unix and same for windows...

My guess turned out right. On Unix you need to specify the encoding as
'UTF-8' ( case sensitive ) while on windows 'utf8' ( and for that matter
'UTF-8') works fine..

FYI
Manoj

                      "J.Pietschmann"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      e>                       cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: XMLParser error
with unicode characters in XML
                      07/08/2004 03:59          file.

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      fop-user

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My boss just called me and informed me that on UNIX ( where we have our
> jars and where we run our application server) its getting an error
> saying "encoding error utf8". It worked on windows 2000 pro which I am
> using. Does the utf8 string needs to be different on unix?

The most likely problem is that the files got corrupted during transfer.

You should definitely get some education about encoding issues rather
than stumbling along blindly. Start here for the XML related problems
  http://skew.org/xml/tutorial/
There are some websites dealing with encoding issues in Java and with
transferring files across machines as well.

J.Pietschmann