Manoj,

For the XML declaration, the encoding attribute value is specified by
the IANA values. The uppercase value of 'utf-8' is the prefered form
of the character set.

This is the first time I have seen the need for choosing the
preferred value, but I will make a note of it for my stylesheets.

You can find a list of character set values online (below).

Mike Ferrando
Washington, DC

IANA character set spec
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets