I'm sorry for not being able to reply properly to the mail in question, and I hope you can bear over with me that I "forge" this reply like this.

Ram Krishnamoorthi wrote:
> I am calling the Transformation from the command line
> and attempting to create a FO Object
>
> xalan.sh -IN <XMLFile> -XSL <XSLFile> -OUT <FOFileName>

Try:
xalan.sh -flavor s2s -IN <XMLFile> -XSL <XSLFile> -OUT <FOFileName>

On my system this tends to work better with large files, and I guess it's due to the simplistic nature of sax parsing. I also guess that certain transformations will suffer greatly in performance, although I have done no testing to assert so.

Regards Per Gunnar Hansø