Patrick JUSSEAU a écrit :

Setting the font-size for the surrounding fo:block to the max size of its inline children (60pt here) does produce a better result but the text is still not completely vertically center aligned (There seems to be more space below the text than above it).

Actually not: if you put letters with non-null descent values (lowercase letters like 'j', 'g', 'p'...) you will have as much white space before as after the letter. If your text only has uppercase letters this will indeed give the feeling that there is more space after.
Right now I have no other solution than setting a non-null before space for the block. You will have to hand-tune the space that will depend on the chosen font and size.
But there probably are better solutions... It's late for me and I'm a bit tired ;-/

Vincent