FOP (at least the current version from Subversion) logs configuration
info:

[INFO] FopFactory - font-base set to: file:/home/simon/programmeren/fop/

etc.

When I configure a metrics file which FOP cannot locate, I get an
exception:

[ERROR] FOP - Exception <java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot load font:
failed to create Source from metrics file arial.xml>

So, when you do not get an exception, at least the metrics file was
found.

I hope this helps.

Simon

Simon Pepping