Stan Ioan-Eugen wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for helping out. I managed to get the stuff working (using cid
encoded fonts, a fop.conf file and i used DejaVu fonts for start).
But another problem occurred: mathematics.
My solution is : use OpenOfiice.org Calc to edit formulas, export to
MathML (1.1 i guess) .mml file, use mathmlsvg to convert to svg (uses
gtkmathmlview) and use the svg in pdf and the png version in html (or
i will use the png anywhere to make things simpler).
   The only problem is that not all of the symbols used in Calc are
available from svg (Calc uses DejaVu and SVG uses TeX fonts -
cmi10,cmr10 etc.), and the svg is rendered very badly by fop-20.5.

Text in SVG can be rendered poorly if the text elements are drawn as lines (stroked). In FOP 0.20.5 you can turn this off, and get Batik to render the glyphs instead:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/graphics.html#svg-pdf-text

  How to handle math in a more straight way?

One other alternative which should involve few moving parts is the MathML extension for FOP which uses JEuclid to render the MathML. OTOH, if your solution pipeline has to use a pre-processing step for HTML anyway, it may be just as easy to just try PNG output from gtkmathmlview as well.

Chris