On Saturday 09 June 2007 00:50, Brad Smith wrote:
> I'm afraid most of the implementation-level discussion of this is
> above me, but I can give you a hint that might prove helpful: our
> translator did some experimentation and found that fop 0.93 breaks
> ko-KR correctly, whereas fop trunk does not. On the other hand, 0.93
> does not correctly break japanese lines, but trunk does.

Brad,

as stated before fop-trunk breaks Korean basically the same as Chinese,
that is each consecutive pair of Korean characters are treated as a
break opportunity. This is consistent with the default specified in the
relevant Unicode standard.

If you want to change this behaviour you need to change the line
breaking pair table used by fop, this means building yourself a custom
fop version.

Here are some hints (not tested) how to do that.

1) Edit the file src/codegen/unicode/data/LineBreakPairTable.txt, which
is basically a table, with a text editor. In the  H2/H2, H2/H3, H3/H2,
H3/H3 cells change the character _ (underscore) to % (percent). Note:
Underscore indicates a direct break opportunity between characters of
this class while percent indicates an indirect opportunity, that is
break only if spaces intervene.

2) Now run the codegen-unicode ant target contained in the standard fop
build.xml file. This should create a new LineBreakUtils.java file in
the fop top level build directory.

3) Copy that file to src/java/org/apache/fop/text/linebreak

4) Rebuild fop

Hope this helps

Manuel