nice does not seem to change the outcome. It only changes the priority of the process. When it runs, it still places fop in the foreground. Here is what I have tried:

nice /Applications/fop-0.94/fop -fo $foo -pdf ../pdf_files/$state.pdf &
nice -n 20 /Applications/fop-0.94/fop -fo $foo -pdf ../pdf_files/ $state.pdf &

I have also added & at the command line:

./createPDF.sh &

Any other options?