On Jan 15, 2008, at 18:03, Amick, Eric wrote:

Hi

I have a three-column listing of phone numbers, and most of the time, each column entry has only one line of text. Sometimes, however, I have entries that look like this:

Text that spans
    two lines ...........  99999   More text that
                                             spans two lines

In case the format gets garbled, the number in the second column should line up with the last line of text in the first column and the first line of text in the third column. I've tried using display-align and vertical-align, but I can't come up with a way that works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you post the FO-snippet you currently have?

I was thinking something like (only works in case you always have three lines, and they're all in the same font-size):

<fo:table>
  <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(2)" />
  <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)" />
  <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(2)" />
  <fo:table-body>
    <fo:table-cell starts-row="true" display-align="before">
      <fo:block>Text that spans two lines ...... </fo:block>
    </fo:table-cell>
    <fo:table-cell display-align="center">
      <fo:block>99999</fo:block>
    </fo:table-cell>
    <fo:table-cell ends-row="true" display-align="after">
      <fo:block>More text that spans two lines</fo:block>
    </fo:table-cell>
  </fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

Another way to achieve something similar, would be by means of fo:block-containers (implemented) or fo:inline-containers (unimplemented, but being worked on). The display-align properties do not apply to fo:block or fo:inline. Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work for you (? remote guess)

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas