It's impossible to give hard numbers here because so many influencing
factors play a role (factors are: information density, layout complexity,
document structure etc.). Following a few rules it's perfectly possible
to produce documents with over 1000 pages but that may not always be
possible depending on the requirements. Some hints on how to keep memory
consumption low can be found here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/stable/running.html#memory

Performance also depends a lot on the document complexity.