Using relative URIs/URLs is usually a good idea but you need to make
sure the base URI/URL is set accordingly. This is done either through
the configuration file ("base" setting) or through the setBaseURL()
methods on FopFactory and FOUserAgent.

If you do userAgent.setBaseURL("file:///C:/Temp/") and use
"file:g00000001.png", the effective URL is:
file:///C:/Temp/g00000001.png

If you don't set the base URL, then the base URL is usually the
current directory of the application. If you're running FOP from the
command-line interface it's the directory where the source file is found.