Jeremias Maerki <dev <at> jeremias-maerki.ch> writes:

> I have an Ubuntu 8.04 in a VM to play with. So I copied over the Bodoni
> fonts from that ZIP file you indicated. However, the ZIP does not
> contain any AFM files for the Bodoni font, just the PFB and PFM.

You are right. The timestamp was different for the AFM files (2007 as
opposed to 1990), so I looked inside one and saw:

Comment AFM Generated by Ghostscript/pf2afm

> Looking
> at these fonts, BTW, gives me a strong impression that these are illegal
> and altered copies (Some of the fonts give a BBS phone number). Anyway,
> I had no problems

Oh well...

> auto-detecting and using the fonts with FOP 0.95beta.

fop-trunk also works.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/fonts/autodetect/UnixFontDirFinder.java
> you'll have to use the "directory" element in the font configuration.

It worked. All fonts that I have tried so far (TT and Type1) can now
be used. By the way, the FOP-trunk online documentation says:

"Font registration via XML font metrics file is still supported and is still
necessary if you want to use a TrueType Collection (*.ttc). Direct support for
TrueType collections may be added later."

This should be updated, as I can use such fonts. Cambria is an MS font that
comes with Office 2007, but, for whatever reason, it is included in the
latest PowerPoint viewer, the installer of which runs on Linux. Cambria.ttf
contains "Cambria" and "Cambria Math" (which I know only because FOP
told me) and I can select either one.

Thanks.

<snip/>