I have verified that version 1.2 still works with FOP 0.95.

If you get the message "No ImagePreloader found for *.pdf" it means that
the plug-in isn't in the classpath. Please note that on Windows, it's
not enough to put some JARs in FOP's lib directory if you use fop.bat.
You'll have to edit this file and add the two JARs
(fop-pdf-images-1.2.jar and PDFBox-0.7.4-dev.jar). fop.cmd is a little
smarter as is the shell script on Unixes.

BTW, you don't need to add the fop-pdf-images-1.2-res.jar. It only
contains some resources I needed during development. They shouldn't have
been included in the distribution. It was an oversight on my part.