On 05 Dec 2008, at 12:57, Georg Datterl wrote:

Hi Georg,

I'm fooling around with linespaces at the moment and I get a value for leading. Leading for PDFs means, as I'm sure everybody knows, the baseline-to-baseline distance between two lines.

XSL-FO has the concept of 'half-leading'. (see XSL-FO 1.1 -- 4.5 Line areas, and)

First I tried to translate it to attribute line-height, but that's not quite the same, because leading is ignored if the text has only one line. A high value for leading in PDF would give me much space between two lines, but doesn't say anything about the distance to the previous block, whereas a high value for line-height does say something about the distance to the previous block.

I have a feeling that line-height.conditionality might be helpful, but I'm not quite sure. Basically, I have to position a text in a block based on a value distanceToPreviousBlock and a value distanceToNextLineIfThereIsALineInThisBlock.

Do I understand correctly that you mean you can already achieve what you need, apart from the first line in a block? If so, then I guess fo:initial-property-set would be your answer. Unfortunately not yet implemented in FOP, but theoretically, that would allow you to set a smaller value for line-height for the first line-area generated by a block.

Another idea may be to play with negative, forced space-before on the block that generates the lines, which could generate the effect of the first line being 'drawn towards' the preceding block.

HTH!

Andreas