On 08.12.2008 23:18:08 Roland Neilands wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>  From experience:
> Don't use transparency in gif's.

That problem is fixed now. See below.

> Don't use oversized jpeg's & expect scaling down to work in PCL, it doesn't.

Can you give me an example that shows that?

> I convert all images to non-transparent gif & they work in both PCL and
> PDF. PCL versions of the image are lower quality & slightly shrunken,
> but workable.

The lower quality is difficult to avoid as we're dealing with a 1-bit
color model in PCL 5. I've made experiments with adding error-diffusion
dithering (using JAI). That improves the quality but has a serious
impact on performance which is why this is disabled in the code. I'm
sure there's room for improvement here. But generally I recommend not to
use PCL output wherever possible since achieving the necessary quality
with reasonable performance proved to be extremely difficult.

The shrinking however should not occur and I've taken great care to test
for that. A short test just now didn't show any anomalies. Again, do you
have an example?

> BMP etc probably work OK, but I use the same images for web stuff too.
>
> Regards,
> *Roland*
>

> Steffanina, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > FOP-0.95
> > RedHat Linux
> > Java 1.5
> > Creating the PDF file is not a problem.  The output is perfect.
> >
> > Printing What:   a short doc that includes one logo file (.gif)  and
> > one watermark  (.jpg).
> >
> > The user has a requirement that the SAME data must also produce a .PCL
> > file.
> >
> > My Java program (from the Apache web site) has been changed as follows:
> > Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME*_PCL*, foUserAgent, out);
> >

> > My   fop.xconf has been changed as follows:
> > <renderer mime="application/vnd.hp-PCL">
> >         <rendering>quality</rendering>
> >         <text-rendering>bitmap</text-rendering>
> > </renderer>
> >
> > The PCL file is produced with two problems:
> >         1. It chooses Legal Size paper by default

The PCL renderer has to choose a paper size that is closest to the
extents of the page you specify in the page master. If something has
gone wrong here, I'd need an FO to reproduce the problem in your case.

I've fixed that in FOP Trunk: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=726998&view=rev

> >         3. The watermark (a .jpg)  does not print

Can you send me that file so I can try to reproduce? I've got no
problems with JPEG images in my tests.

> > Any ideas/suggestions???
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > */Jeff/*