On 03 Jun 2009, at 09:18, Tobias Anstett [k15t.com] wrote:

Hi Tobias

No, it is only available in FOP's Trunk version. IIRC, it is used
automatically.

How stable is it? Are there any known issues that some content can't
be rendered?

For now, it seems to work nicely. I have not seen any issues come in that are specific to the introduction of the new IF. Trunk is stable enough, IMO, for most (if not all) scenarios.

No. This remains the same for the moment. Note that FOP Trunk currently does have an option made available to store the rendered pages to disk to avoid keeping the whole area tree in memory, but it still does not resolve the issue that the entire page-sequence has to be parsed before layout even
begins...

Do you think the memory issues is because of parsing the entire
page-sequence or because of not storing the rendered pages to disk.

Both. It depends a bit on the FO. If you use a lot of nested tables and/or blocks, the memory occupied by the objects for the FO Tree could by itself be enough to cause issues. If you receive an OutOfMemoryError during rendering, there is a chance (no guarantee) that offloading the pages to disk will bypass the issue. If the error is thrown sometime during the FO Tree buildup, serializing the pages will not help.

If the latter one, can you tell me how to activate this behavior?

With FOP Trunk, one can use the '-conserve' option on the command-line to activate disk-caching of the rendered pages (or call setConserveMemoryPolicy(true) on the FOUserAgent for embedded usage). We have explicitly chosen to make this optional, since it increases disk I/O so it can be significantly slower.

HTH!

Andreas