On 24 Jun 2009, at 18:15, Georg Datterl wrote:

  [Me: ]
[BTW (slightly off-topic for this particular thread): I'm
wondering whether we do not need /all/ applicable font-
families. After all, page- numbers can be formatted, so
the eventual font would have to have all the necessary
glyphs. Right now, one single Font instance is stored
in the area, and that one is determined before we can
verify whether it indeed has all the glyphs... Perhaps
a way too exotic use-case?]

I don't quite see what could happen. Formattings like bold or italics are known before, the only thing coming later are instances of [0-9]. There's no way, I think, to make the first digit bold and the second one italic and the third one in a different font.

Actually, I was thinking in the direction of languages that don't use the same numerals we do... and strictly speaking --although I think FOP does not implement it completely-- a user/author can specify whatever format they require.

See the conversion properties mentioned in the note:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#fo_page-number

If you want to try this out, and succeed in getting it
to work, don't forget to send us the patch. ;-) If not,
again, I'll probably have a closer look during the weekend.

If I can work on it before the weekend, I'll definitely send you the result.

Thanks in advance!

Andreas