Dominik Stadler wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dominik,

I am creating automated PDF documents using FOP 0.95. I tried to use keep-with-previous=“always“ to keep related content near each other when rendering multi-page documents.

FOP renders as much related content as possible, but does not overflow the rest to the next page, but simply ignores it, so if I have 10 images, where only the first 3 fit on the page, the other 7 are simply not visible in the PDF.

Is this the intended behaviour? Is there another way to tell FOP that the relation is there, but it still should do page breaks if the page is filled?

using keep-*="always" does prevent page breaking as Georg suggested. Why can't you just use keep-together on the image and its text description? Only if the related content is bigger than a single page do you run into problems. In your example of 10 images, if you place a keep-together="always" on the block containing the image and the image description then those items should be kept together and as long as they fit into 1 page you should need the integer keeps from FOP trunk. In your example of 10 images you would use 10 keep-together's.

There are some known issues with keep-with-previous especially when used in conjunction with tables. So I would try to avoid keep-with-previous and use keep-together or keep-with-next instead.

As I do not know how much content fits on a page, I would not like to start setting/unsetting keep-with-previous on my own, but would expect the renderer to do page breaks if keeping on one page is not possible.

The XSL-FO looks roughly like this, all elements use “keep-with-previous” to not have page-breaks between the heading and the images.

<snip/>

Chris