Martin Edge wrote:
Hey Guys,

Hi Martin,

<snip/>

Up till now, this has served me well, and larger commercial printers have no
quams in dealing with the output. However, today, whilst trying to print on
our FujiXerox ApeosPort 650I (I'd say a SME sized printer) - the duplex
functions were not working correctly.
This turned out to be because the printer is finicky enough to have a
problem if on the reverse side of a duplex set, the PageSize is defined, it
ignores the request completely. I found if I remove the offending Page Size
(and other codes I may have added), the process works.

Actually this problem is not only limited to the Printer model you
mention. I have encountered this behaviour on about 50% of all PS
Printers. To solve this problem we added an option to FOP to only put
entries into the pagedevice dictionary, such as the /PageSize entry,
when they change. This option is rather cryptically named dsc-compliant.
If you add the following element to the PS Renderer section of fop.xconf
you should find that duplex starts working again!

<dsc-compliant>false</dsc-compliant>

Thanks,

Chris

This is the offending section: %FOPBeginSetPageDevice
<<
/PageSize [595 842]
/ImagingBBox null
setpagedevice
%FOPEndSetPageDevice

So; if I attempt to remove the width/height attributes from the page
definition within the page sequence, as per below;
<page index="0" name="1" page-master-name="basicPage" width="595275"
height="841889">

The FOP parser gets narky with me and talks about a number format exception
( I assume translating the lack of width/height to output ):

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.NumberFormatException:
null
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.transformTo(InputHandler.java:302)
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.IFInputHandler.renderTo(IFInputHandler.java:77)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOP(Main.java:174)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.main(Main.java:205)
Caused by: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
java.lang.NumberFormatException

So, the rhetorical part of the question is - is it worth trying to modify
FOP (and would I have my fingers removed) to deal with the lack of a
width/height in the transformer to Postscript, or am I forced to write a
secondary post processor on the PostScript file to look for a duplex, and
then remove those lines for the following page?
Hopefully, this makes sense.

Thanks
Martin