I've produced the attached TIFF image with FOP Trunk (pretty much
equivalent to FOP 1.0) with practically the same configuration as you,
except for the <transparent-page-background>true</transparent-page-background>
which you should remove.

If by poor quality you mean the bi-level rendering by using a lightness
threshold,
that could be improved by rendering the bitmap internally in gray scales
and then rasterize it using Bayer or error-diffusion rastering. We have
code for that but it's not tied into the bitmap renderers and it would
also cost a lot of performance and allow much poorer compression levels.

Maybe you should post an image to demonstrate what you consider poor
quality.