That's double XML escaping which means somewhere in your process you
have a bug concerning the consumption of XML.

What may have happened:

Someone built a DOM document and then inserted the Twitter XML as Text
into the document rather than building another DOM tree from the Twitter
XML and importing that into the first DOM.

But that's just one example how this could have happened. Without
knowing how you wrote your code to make this happen it's difficult to
help.