Hmm, I can't reproduce your problem. Mine was actually something else
and has to do with encoding monochrome images that have been generated
by JAI. Have you tried a different viewer or actually printed the file?
In my experience, there are huge differences between AFP viewers. I've
checked with Compart DocBridgeView, IBM Workbench, BTB Browser and ISIS
Papyrus AFP Viewer.

Which FOP version are you using? You can send me a sample AFP file
off-list and I'll check if I see anything wrong.