On 29 Mar 2011, at 17:29, Eric Douglas wrote:

Hi Eric

> I think this is what they mean by thread safe.  I seem to have a concurrency
> issue.  If I call a transform using the Fop handler with a PNGRenderer from 2
> JVM sessions at or near the same time one crashes.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce the problem so far with the PDFRenderer so
> either it doesn't have the issue or my timing is off on attempting to use it
> in 2 sessions at once.

The answer is that the PDFRenderer is entirely under our control --and thus we
are virtually certain it works well with concurrent runs--, while the
PNGRenderer (and also other formats, like TIFF) relies heavily on Java2D and
AWT. Those latter libraries are not thread-safe themselves, and not always used
in a thread-safe manner in XMLGraphics and FOP...

Do you have a stack trace to go with the crash? If yes, do the processes
consistently fail on the same method call? If so, there is a chance that we
might be able to offer a fix in the short term.

Regards,

Andreas
---