I have tried both suggestions, using a file-url and appending a slash, but to
no avail.

Please keep in mind that this is a regression, i. e. not I am doing
something wrong, but something changed from fop 0.95 to fop 1.0. Take
another look at the error message:

Failed to resolve font with embed-url 'Dingbats.ttf'

The problem is not the font-base directory, but the embed-url itself, which
apparently does not work in a relative fashion anymore. Indeed, if I specify
an absolute path in the embed-url, then the font is found.

Ulrich