I don't think it is a FOP problem. I've seen that behaviour when I try to
navigate to some action that generates a PDF, and it fails for wathever
reason. If I fix the problem and try to refresh the page, the PDF is shown
as a lot of rubbish. Actually, it is the binary content of the PDF. So in
those cases it seems that the content/type received after the refresh is not
being taken into account, and it just shows the document as plain text. But
that's just my experience.