On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Robert Meyer <rme...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi James,
>
> From reading the XSL specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#direction),
> it states:
>
> "For the 'direction' property to have any effect on inline-level elements,
> the 'unicode-bidi' property's value must be 'embed' or 'override'. "
>
> e.g. <fo:bidi-override direction="ltr" unicode-bidi="bidi-override">

I think what you want to do here is create a LTR embedding context, as
opposed to overriding the inherent directionality of the characters (which
is what the above does). So you should use:

<inline><fo:bidi-override direction="ltr"
unicode-bidi="embed"><fo:page-number/>
/ <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="endofdoc"/></fo:bidi-override></inline>

You can also do the same thing using explicit Unicode BIDI control
characters LRE and PDF:

<inline>&#x202A;<fo:page-number/> / <fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="endofdoc"/>&#x202C;</inline>

See [1] and [2] for more info.

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1rc1/complexscripts.html#bidi_override_element
[2]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1rc1/complexscripts.html#bidi_controls

If you try that and are still having the same behaviour, would it be