Ok... This one's a tricksy little badger. Basically, because you're using a
font-size that's so large (especially when you convert pts -> mpts as FOP
works in) we're basically seeing an integer-overflow issue:

2579 pts = 2579000 mpts
833mpts = width of "M" glyph in Helvetica

In Java (read: 32-bit integers), try 2579000 * 833, the result
is -2146660296, it should be 2148307000. This means when FOP attempts to
draw the glyphs with the appropriate kerning, an erroneous value is being
given as the glyph-width of the "M" character. I'm not really sure if this
is a bug, there's always going to be a limitation on the size of the
document FOP can produce because we have to work with integers that can
overflow, if that limitation is 2147483648 / 1000 / 72 inches (or 29826
inches), I think we have enough scope there to feel assured that we're
within the bounds of reasonable use.

If you need any help changing your document to be a bit more FOP-friendly,
please feel free to ask any further questions and I/we will try and help as
much as we can.

Hope that helps,

Mehdi