Someone may correct me if I get this wrong, but I think the issue is that you are using cmyk() inside SVG, not FO.

The error you get is thrown by Batik, not really FOP. I think the documentation needs to be clearer about this.

You can check that by adding a background-color="cmyk(1, 0, 0, 0)" to the block element that contains the SVG, FOP will handle the background-color as advertised.