If you want to use strict mode using the command line interface, then you
need to use the FOP configuration file to specify strict validation mode.
See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/configuration.html. In other
words, insert

<strict-validation>true</strict-validation>

into your fop.xconf file at the appropriate level.