Very likely the pdfbox merge utility does not merge the fonts used in the
documents. So if you have the same font used in two documents the font will
be embedded twice in the merged document. If you have many fonts the size
can grow considerably.

If you think the difference in size in the individual PDFs is an issue send
us a sample example to that we can investigate the reason for the
difference.