Hi,

-xsl and -xml command line parameters are there for convenience.
FOP delegates XSLT transformation to Xalan before do its own job:
render pdf (or whatever supported format).

You can do the XSLT transformation by yourself, using whatever XSLT
processor you want, and feed FOP with resulting XSL-FO.
That can be done a batch processing.

So, Xalan dependencies (and associated Xerces) can be removed from FOP bundle.

--
pascal