I do get the behavior you describe if I use the arial font file you
provided but I get a different result if I use an arial font file from my
system. I do still get the problem with copy and paste from PDF, but all
characters are correctly displayed in the PDF (converted from PS with
ps2pdf). I suggest you try different Arial fonts since that seems to impact
the result.