Hi Holger,

I'm happy to advise you, but please lets keep FOP related stuff on list.

The basic info you need for setting up a FOP Dev environment is here:
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/

The latest FOP versions are developed using Maven, which makes importing
the source code into your favorite IDE a one click process. I personally
use IntelliJ, but others use Eclipse or Netbeans

Thanks,

Chris