From: Matt Kynaston [mailto:m...@claritum.com]
Sent: 16 November 2017 13:32
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: fop-pdf-images and caching

First, I get a hit on the external PDF for each and every page. I've had a look
at the PreloadPDF and it looks like it's meant to be caching, but apparently
not. Is there some configuration I'm missing for this?

Ah hah. Turns out I was looking at the trunk version of fop-pdf-images when I
saw the caching stuff. That was removed before version 2.2 was tagged.

Going back to ticket FOP-2135 it looks like this "document level" cache was
added to reduce the document size, not avoid repeated hits on remote resources.
Caching the remote resource is handled by
org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.cache.ImageCache, which in turn checks
isCachable() on the image. ImagePDF returns false for that :(

Does anyone have any insights into this? Is there any way to make a PDF image
cacheable?

Second, if I rename the external PDF I get an error as expected. However
renaming it back doesn't seem to be picked up immediately: it takes one or more
runs before it's found again.

Again, this is down to ImageCache, which is keeping track of invalid URLs for
60s.

Matt