Greetings,

I've spent a couple hours in the mail archives trying to determine the current
state of the implementation of retrieve-table-marker. The compliance table
states that this is still just partially implemented, and I'd like to
understand what works and does not work in FOP 2.5.

The archives yielded a couple work-arounds, one that uses regular markers and
the other which uses table-markers, but these are at least 8 years old and I
can't tell if they've been superceded.

  *
https://www.mail-archive.com/fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org/msg18790/example-1.fo
  *
https://www.mail-archive.com/fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org/msg18521.html

I need a solution that can generate repeating table titles with the string
"(continued)" on the 2nd and subsequent pages of a long table. These pages are
generated dynamically using the DITA Open-Toolkit's DITA to FO transform, which
we've customized when needed.

Here's what I'd like to understand:

  *   What is the current state of the retrieve-table-marker compliance?
  *   Is full compliance needed to support repeating table titles?
  *   If so, how much effort would be required to address it?
     *   by a regular FOP contributor
     *   a Master's student with Java background
  *   If not, what's the most up-to-date method to implement repeating table
titles using a work-around for FOP 2.5?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

John