Greetings,

We use the DITA Open Toolkit and FOP extensively. Whenever I review the FOP
release notes, I need to translate the fix descriptions to determine the impact
on our documentation renders. Sometimes the descriptions are sufficient to make
this determination, but most times I'm at a loss, because they're mostly
written in FOP developer-speak and I don't know anything about the internals to
do the translation myself. I often take the time to look at any attached FO
files to see if I can infer the use cases that would be affected by a fix.  In
our DITA-OT XSL transforms, we create templates to work around observed FOP
problems, if possible, so it would help us identify which workarounds could be
retired if we had a better idea of how a fix could impact the rendered results.

The descriptions that are particularly helpful to end-users are ones worded
like "This fix addresses cases where a table cell with list items that split
across pages would sometimes cause extra whitespace to occur at the top of the
2nd page."

In full disclosure, my manager complains about this same issue with the release
note entries our software engineers write for the same reason. To address this,
we now use a special Jira field, called something like "Release Note
Description" so we don't have to hack the summary field in case its wording is
better for developers and communicates what needs to fixed where.

We're always happy to see ongoing FOP releases, so thanks to everyone who
contributed to 2.8.

Best Regards,

John Kirkilis
Nokia Cloud and Network Services