The critical nature of node.rb has taken me down the rabbit hole of
functional development, which in the ruby/puppet world means rspec. But in
order to refactor properly, what I really need here is to test the behavior
of the script _as an executable_. The current rspec file does unit testing
on some of the internal methods of that file, treated as a module. Some
googling brought me to the ARUBA project, which is a sub project of
cucumber. I'm very keen on the whole BDD cycle in general, but
unfortunately, the *style* of documentation of that project makes it very
difficult for me to proceed. It's clear that if I were to test
external_node_v2.rb using cucumber/aruba, I will need to add quite a few
files and it's a lot of work. Which I don't mind doing. But before I
proceed, I ask: Are there objections to using cucumber / aruba within this
project? Are there alternatives for testing a program as a black box? (In
our case, the testing harness will need to start a temporary HTTP service
to provide test files, in lieu of an ability to set up a mock).